Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Kingfishers and hippos



Pied Kingfisher


Hyena we saw on the drive there, wearing a tracking collar

This morning I think I found a little piece of heaven on earth. I got up for a bird drive and we went to a bird blind that overlooks Lake Panic. Ironically, it’s incredibly tranquil place. The lilies were in full bloom and water birds skipped along over the lily pads. Hippos grunted in the background and one was sleeping under the bushes right in front of us. The lake was beautiful and we saw a lot of neat birds, including my favorite bird in South Africa so far: the Pied Kingfisher. We saw four different species of kingfisher this morning. I watched a green-backed heron feeding its two babies and kingfishers fighting over a fish. This is a very fast-paced program and it was nice just to sit for a while and marvel at God’s creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment